Games make everyone happy. Enthusiasts of this entertainment can be found in practically every social layer, every professional and age group. Representatives of the media and non-governmental organizations decided to ask Polish developers on behalf of players with disabilities who face difficulties related to the failure to adjust games to their physical capabilities. A list of the main problems has been created, and here it is:
- complicated control, no possibility to change the keyboard;
- no ability to scale the interface and subtitles;
- information transfer only in one way (audio or video);
- failure to exclude QTE, no gradation of the level of difficulty;
- lack of care for colors (non-inclusion of color blindness, flashes that may cause photogenic epilepsy);
- lack of support for one controller;
- it is not possible to run the game in the window.
The authors of the letter emphasize that issues raised by them are important, as according to the Central Statistical Office data concern a large social group (disability affects every 5th people in Poland). Social acceptance and the availability of services and products are matters that the environment related to disabled people has been seeking for years. The letter was signed by: CD-Action, Polish Association of the Disabled, Poznań Gild of Players, GRYOnline.pl, PSX Extreme, Anna Dymna's Foundation "Mimo Wszystko", Komputer Świat, PIXEL, PPE.pl, Indie Games Polska Foundation, Filmweb, Gram .pl, Wroclaw Sejmik of the Disabled, Karkonoski Sejmik of the Disabled, Polish Society of Multiple Sclerosis, Society for Deaf and Blind Aid, PC Format.
If the problem concerns such a large number of people and in principle, it can be easily solved already at the stage of creating games - we hope that the matter will move forward, and Polish developers will respond to the requests contained in the letter. We keep our fingers crossed and we strongly believe that soon the gaming market will become more friendly and accessible to us!